Job Summary: The Biotechnology Center is seeking an ambitious, independent Research Specialist to support the services of the Animal Models Core whose mission is to provide various genome editing technology including CRISPR and related support to UW investigators. A successful employee demonstrates efficient time management skills in addition to strong attention to detail in carrying out lab and animal related tasks. Applicants must be comfortable working with animal models, including mice and rats. Periodic weekend work is required.
Responsibilities: Develops, designs, and conducts one or more research projects and organizes daily operation of projects and specialized research areas to ensure work meets established objectives under moderate supervision.
- 30% Conducts research experiments according to established research protocols with moderate impact to the project(s). Collects data and monitors test results
- 15% Operates, cleans, and maintains organization of research equipment and research area. Tracks inventory levels and places replenishment orders
- 10% Reviews, analyzes, and interprets data and/or documents results for presentations and/or reporting to internal and external audiences
- 10% Participates in the development, interpretation, and implementation of research methodology and materials
- 10% Provides operational guidance on day-to-day activities of unit or program staff and/or student workers
- 5% Performs literature reviews and writes reports
- 10% Maintenance of cryopreservation database.
- 5% Rederive mouse and rat strains.
- 5% Cryopreserve of mouse and rat gametes.